Pickle your Gherkins!
This gherkin recipe was the first video I made over on my Youtube Channel and so far my most viewed!
I created this recipe for pickling gherkins (I had a tonne of them growing in my garden) based off other recipes on the internet and a whole lot of trial and error.
Use this recipe exactly or you can alter it to suit your own needs so it is perfect for you!
- Pickling Cucumbers/Gherkins
- White Vinegar
- Mustard Seed
- White Sugar
- Pickle jars
- Pick your gherkins from the garden!
- Slice them up into either rounds or lengths.
- Cover your gherkins in salt & leave for 4 hours. This dehydrates them so they soak up all the delicious pickle liquid!
- Create your pickling liquid by mixing all ingredients together (I like to measure it by pouring the vinegar into the pickling jar and adding to taste)
- Put a large pot of water (for your jars) and two small pots of water (for the pickle mixture and the jar lids) on to boil.
- Your jars go into the big pot and make sure they are submerged. The lids go into one of the small pots and the pickle mixture into the other so they can get going at the same time.
- Rinse the salt off all of your gherkins and put them into the boiled jars.
- Pour the pickle mixture into the jars and wipe around the top with a paper towel so the lid sticks properly.
- Take the jar lids and put them straight onto the jars as soon as possible.
- Pop them all back into the large pot of boiling water and leave for 15 minutes.
- Remove them and place them onto a flat surface so this way they won’t be disturbed. The lids will then pop!
I have found this method super successful. I still have jars of pickles from when I made this video back in 2016 and they still taste great! If you get stuck, watch my YouTube Video at for more information!
I hope you enjoy and find this useful, leave me a comment below if you have 🙂